Skip links and keyboard navigation

Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to content | Skip to footer | Use tab and cursor keys to move around the page (more information)
Skip Navigation LinksQueensland State Archives > Researching the archives > Exhibitions > Queensland firsts > 01-25 > 1864 - Women-only hospital

1864 - Women-only hospital

Queensland’s first hospital for women opened in 1864, on Leichhardt Street, Spring Hill. Originally known as the Queensland Lying-In Hospital, it was later renamed Lady Bowen Hospital after the wife of Queensland’s first Governor.

Although there had been general hospitals in the region before this, the opening of a women’s hospital was a clear indication of the growing prosperity and population of Queensland.

Pioneering work in women’s health was conducted by Dr Lilian Cooper; the first woman to become a registered doctor in Queensland. She was also recognised for her association with the Brisbane Hospital for Sick Children and the Lady Lamington Hospital for Women.

Following Dr Cooper’s death in 1947, her companion donated the present site for the Mount Olivet Hospital of the Sisters of Charity.

Rules of the Lady Bowen Hospital, c 1868 Queensland State Archives Item ID 1139517, Digital Image ID 2929 Lady Bowen Hospital Committee

Page 2

Rules of the Lady Bowen Hospital, c 1868
Queensland State Archives Item ID 1139517, Digital Image ID 2929 Lady Bowen Hospital Committee

Around the world

  • 1864 Alice's Adventures in Wonderland published
  • 1864 International Red Cross founded
  • 1865 American Civil War ended
  • 1866 Alfred Nobel invented dynamite

View timeline

Lady Bowen Lying-in Hospital on Wickham Terrace, Brisbane, 1912 State Library of Queensland, Image no. 629

Lady Bowen Lying-in Hospital on Wickham Terrace, Brisbane, 1912
State Library of Queensland, Image no. 629

Page 3

Page 4

View timeline



Last updated 02 March 2012