Search the indexes
Adobe Reader is required to open and print these Portable Document Format (PDF) index files and is free to download from the Adobe website. If you have difficulty accessing PDF files from our website please contact us.
- ? indicates there is doubt about the entry due to difficulty in interpreting handwriting. The registers have suffered water damage making interpretation and transcription of the faded ink difficult
- more than one entry may be found for a person
- check all possible spelling variants
- some given names are abbreviated as they appear in the original record
- Mc and Mac names are interfiled
- - or a blank cell indicates that there is no information in the original
- names are not indexed with an apostrophe, e.g. O DWYER
- Asiatic names have not been anglicised and appear as recorded in the original record.
Costs and ordering
The cost for each reference requested is A$6.60.
To order copies of an item, please complete an index order form (PDF, 67KB). When completing the form, quote the name of the person, QSA reference, volume and page number, and microfilm number.
These indexes have been compiled from several series of records created by HM Goal (later Prison) Toowoomba. Each record details male and female prisoners who were admitted to the prison.
1. Index to prisoners admitted 1895-1906
This index was compiled from Series ID 16288, Register of Male and Female Prisoners Admitted (PRI4/4).
This record was kept by HM Gaol (later Prison) Toowoomba, to record particulars of male and female prisoners admitted to the gaol who were tried at criminal sittings of District and Circuit Courts, mainly at Toowoomba, but also at Warwick, Roma, Dalby, Stanthorpe, Brisbane, Ipswich, and Bundaberg. Details entered include: Prisoners number, Name, date convicted, where convicted, date discharged.
Please refer to Note in Register about prison closure at Toowoomba and a female division opening in Brisbane, page 122. The image below (click for larger image) is an example of page 15 from the register dated 1895. Note the two pages to an opening.
2. Index to female prisoners admitted, 1887-1891
This index was compiled from Series ID 16289, Register of female prisoners admitted (alphabetical) (PRI4/5) which was kept by HM Prison, Toowoomba to record prisoners' admissions, criminal history and physical descriptions, either separately or combined in the same register.
Information provided include: name of prisoner, by whom committed, offence, sentence, date of sentence, how employed, date of admission in gaol, nationality, amount of money (in possession of prisoner), how disposed of, age, date of discharge, previous convictions, trade, education, and remarks.
Please note: All prisoners from HM Gaol, Toowoomba - declared an all-women's prison in 1898 - were transferred to HM Prison, Brisbane, Female Division in 1903. The image below (click for larger image) is an example of a page from the register. Note the two pages to an opening.
3. Index to prisoners tried, 1864-1903
This index was compiled from Series ID 16291, Court Book (prisons) (PRI4/1) which was kept by HM Gaol (later Prison) Toowoomba to record particulars of prisoners tried at criminal sittings of District and Circuit Courts, mainly at Toowoomba, but also at Warwick, Roma, Dalby, Stanthorpe, Brisbane (one entry), Ipswich, and Bundaberg. Details entered under the court name and date of sittings include: number, name of prisoner, age, where born, religion, trade, ship, committed by whom, where and when, date received in gaol, offence, judge, verdict and date, sentence or discharge and date (also includes gaol sent to - Toowoomba or Brisbane).
Please note: Toowoomba Prison has been chosen as the Creating Agency for this series by reference to the signatures of the Toowoomba Police Magistrate and the Prison Superintendent located on pages dated 1895. The image below (click for larger image) is an example of a page from the register dated 1867. Note the two pages to an opening.
4. Index to prisoners discharged, 1869-1879
This index was compiled from Series ID 16293, Discharge Book - (Males and Females) (PRI4/2) which was kept by HM Gaol (later Prison) Toowoomba to record particulars of male and female prisoners admitted to the gaol who were tried at criminal sittings of District and Circuit Courts, mainly at Toowoomba, but also at Warwick, Roma, Dalby, Surat, Brisbane, Condamine, and Leyburn and other locations in South East Queensland. Details entered include: Gaol number, Name, date convicted, where convicted, date discharged.
The images below (click for larger image) is an example of a page from the register dated 1873. Note the two (2) pages to an opening.
With the information found in these records, researchers can also look for other related records in the following series:
- Series ID 16292, Index to male and female prisoners admitted 1883-1894
- Series ID 3835, Photographic records and descriptions of released male prisoners 1899
- Series ID 6226, Registers of Criminal Depositions 1861-1970
- Series ID 15536, Information, depositions and associated papers in criminal cases 1857-1958