Search the index
Adobe Reader is required to open and print these Portable Document Format (PDF) index files and is free to download from the Adobe website. If you have difficulty accessing PDF files from our website please contact us.
- ? or indicates there is doubt about the entry due to difficulty in interpreting the handwriting. Please note there may be transcription errors due to these difficulties.
- More than one entry may be found for a person, including aliases
- Check all possible spelling variants
- Some given names, titles and Ship names are abbreviated as they appear in the original record
- Mc and Mac names are interfiled
- - or a blank cell indicates that there is no information recorded in the original record
- names are not indexed with an apostrophe, e.g. O DWYER
- Asiatic, Polynesian and Islander names have not been anglicised and appear as recorded in the original record.
Costs and ordering
The cost for each reference required is A$6.60.
To order copies of an item, please complete an index order form (PDF, 67KB). When completing the form, quote the name of the person, page number, reference and the microfilm number.
This index has been compiled from Series ID 6226, Registers of Criminal Depositions Received which were created by the Crown Solicitors Office.
Each double-page of the registers 1861-1885 is headed "depositions etc received". Under this heading, entry details also vary over time but usually include: number, name of accused, offence for which committed, committing magistrate and bench, place of trial, when, court where the trial was held, witnesses, bail, depositions when received, despatched to, when, judge, verdict, sentence and date of sentence or discharge, and remarks; if a gaol sentence was imposed it gives the name of the gaol. Adjournments are included while applications for leave to appeal are noted in red.
With the information contained in these registers it is possible to look for further information in court and prison records and to locate court transcripts in Series ID 4508.
The image below (click for larger image) depicts entries in a Register of Criminal Depositions Received by the Crown Law Office in 1866.