These indexes have been compiled from Series ID 5739, Oaths of Allegiance Administered to Justices of the Peace, 1857-1976.
This series was created by the Supreme Court, Moreton Bay later to become known as the Supreme Court of Queensland and now known as the Supreme Court, Southern District, Brisbane. To date, the years 1857 to 1922 have been indexed. Justices of the Peace are required to sign an oath of allegiance prior to carrying out any duties as justices.
Each page is an oath of allegiance to the Queen/King and also an oath to faithfully serve as a Justice of the Peace. Information includes the full name of the Justice of the Peace, his/her signature and the signature of the certified witness - usually a judge or another Justice of the Peace. The later oaths give the fee paid, the Government Gazette reference and the address of the Justice of the Peace. Occasionally there is some related correspondence bound with the oaths which can include letters of request, letters of appointment and notices of gazettal from the Chief Secretary.
The oaths have been numbered and bound into volumes and this index will allow easy access to the documents. Sometimes there is an additional document addressed to another justice, requesting that he administer the oath.
Please note: A/4832 - A/4869 were not in archival custody for an unknown period of time during which some of the registers were severely vandalised.
- ? indicates there is doubt about the entry due to difficulty in interpreting handwriting
- more than one entry may be found for a person
- check all possible spelling variants
- some given names are abbreviated as they appear in the original record
- Mc and Mac names are interfiled
- or a blank cell indicates that there is no information recorded in the original
- names are not indexed with an apostrophe, e.g. O DWYER
- Asiatic names have not been anglicised and appear as recorded in the original record.
- there may be more than one entry for an individual with the same date, this indicates different documents
Search the indexes
Please note, Adobe Reader is required to open and print these Portable Document Format (PDF) index files and is free to download from the Adobe website.
If you have difficulty accessing PDF files from this website please contact us.
Open Data indexes
If you have difficulty accessing these files from this website please contact us.
Costs and ordering
The cost for each item requested is A$12.50. For this fee you will receive a copy of the oath and any additional document/s.
To order copies of an item, please complete an index order form (PDF, 67KB). When completing the form, quote the name of the person, oath number and date, QSA reference and the microfilm number.
- Series ID 5740, Indexes to Oaths of Allegiance administered to Justices of the Peace, 1860-1976. Beware that you may find a name in the index however the oath itself may not have survived and therefore is not in Series ID 5739.
- Series ID 5177, Registers of aliens to whom oaths of allegiance for naturalisation were administered, 1858-1903. These registers are self-indexed.
For further information please read Search procedure 11: Justice of the Peace Oaths of Allegiance (PDF, 51KB).