Search the indexes
Queensland Votes and Proceedings often contain lists of people who took the Oath of Allegiance to be naturalised:
These records are available on microfilm in the Public Search Room at Runcorn, and at the State Library of Queensland.
Adobe Reader is required to open and print these Portable Document Format (PDF) index files and is free to download from the Adobe website. If you have difficulty accessing PDF files from our website please contact us.
- ? indicates there is doubt about the entry due to difficulty in interpreting handwriting
- - or blank indicates no information was recorded
- check all possible spelling variants
- all given names are abbreviated as they appear in the original record
- names are indexed without an apostrophe, e.g. D ARX; O DWYER; L ESTRANGE.
Costs and ordering
To order copies of a reference from this index, complete an index order form (PDF, 67KB). Include the name of the person, number or page number (where relevant), date, Item ID, microfilm number and the index part in which the reference is located (if relevant).
Refer to the Index category 1 charge on our Copying charges page for the cost per reference.
If you require further information, please contact us.
These indexes were created from various series of records created by the Supreme Court, Brisbane, Rockhampton and Townsville districts as well as the Colonial Secretary's Office and the Government Residents Office.
The series from which the index is created are:
- Series ID 5253, Inwards correspondence, 1/1/1860 - circa 31/12/1861
- Series ID 5741, Oaths of Allegiance Sworn by Aliens Being Naturalised, 6/9/1858 - 15/1/1904
- Series ID 5743, Certificates of Naturalisation and Associated Papers, 20/2/1860 - circa 31/1/1902
- Series ID 7224, Oaths of Allegiance, circa 1/1/1875 - circa 31/12/1902
- Series ID 8400, Special Batches, 1/1/1887 31/12/1903
- Series ID 9403, Naturalisation Files, circa 1/1/1896 - circa 31/12/1902
- Series ID 12748, Letters Addressed to the Government Resident by the Colonial Secretary, Sydney, 1/1/1851 26/12/1856
These records contain the names of those who took oaths of allegiance to be naturalised as British subjects under the Aliens Act 1867 until the Commonwealth Naturalization Act 1903 came into force on 1 Jan 1904. The information provided includes number of oath, full name, place of residence, date of oath, before whom oath taken, birthplace, age and current occupation, trade or profession and date when enrolled. The earliest register (1858-1862) shows only the number of the oath, name and residence and date of enrolment.