This index was compiled from the original Supreme Court files:
This index includes files from all districts for the period 1857 to 1900. From 1901 onwards only Southern District, Brisbane, files can be searched in the index.
This index does not include the Public Curator files (commonly referred to as "intestacies") in which many other wills can be found. Wills are not only for those who died in Queensland but can be for people who registered their will in Queensland.
Each ecclesiastical file relates to the Estate of a Deceased Person administered by the Executors appointed in the will or, where no will exists, by an appointed administrator (other than the Public Curator) where this was approved by the Supreme Court.
The files contain documents which include information such as name, address and occupation of the deceased, date and place of death, next of kin, an inventory of property and its value and disposition.
Documents in each file may include:
- Petition or Request for Probate
- Affidavit of the administrator or executor appointed
- Certificate of Death
- Stamp Commissioner's Certificate
- copy of the Probate Notice Inventory
- Affidavit as to the publication and search of the death notice
- Bill of Costs
- Certificate of Taxation
- Last Will and Testament of the deceased.
For further information please read Brief guide 19: Will and intestacy records (PDF, 132KB).
- check all possible spelling variants
- check all SEE ALSO references
- all given names are abbreviated as initials as they appear in the original record
- Mc and Mac names are interfiled
- O names are not indexed with an apostrophe, e.g. O DWYER
- Asiatic names have not been anglicised and appear as recorded in the original record.
Search the indexes
Wills 1857 to 1900 (all Districts)
Wills 1901 to 1940 (Southern District)
Please note, Adobe Reader is required to open and print these Portable Document Format (PDF) index files and is free to download from the Adobe website.
If you have difficulty accessing PDF files from this website please contact us.
Open Data indexes
If you have difficulty accessing these files from this website please contact us.
Costs and ordering
The cost for each item requested is A$18.30. For this fee you will receive the first eight (8) pages. If the file is larger than eight (8) pages you will receive a quote for those pages not copied.
To order copies of an item, please complete an index order form (PDF, 67KB). When completing the form, quote the name of the person, will number, QSA location and microfilm number.
Note, sometimes there is no will or inventory included in the file and that death certificates were only included from about the mid 1890s onwards.