These indexes were created from Series ID 7149, Passport Clearance Registers and Series ID 10222, Passport Receipts. The records were created by the Immigration Department.
These indexes record the names of immigrants arriving into Queensland and their subsequent disembarkation from Queensland.
Passport Clearance Register index 1926-1935
This series was compiled from Series ID 7149, Passport Clearance Registers.
The series consists of a register of passport clearances showing file number, name, schedule number and vessel name and date of arrival, state disembarked, vessel and date of departure, reason for leaving, whether returning, Government contribution, number and date of clearance. The format changed in Aug/Sep 1929 to name, number of souls, scheme under which arrived, vessel and date of arrival, state, reason for leaving commonwealth, whether returning, Government contribution, schedule number, permit number, remarks (includes name of ship sailing and date of departure).
There are 2374 entries in the index.
The image below (click for larger image) is an example of the Passport Clearance Register entry for Colonel E V Richardson dated 28 May 1926.
Passport Receipts index 1930 - 1939
This series was compiled from Series ID 10222, Passport Receipts.
This series consists of duplicates of passport clearances entitled Joint Commonwealth and State Migration Scheme Passport Clearance to Assisted Migrants. The clearances were issued by the Immigration Department, Brisbane, and were to be presented at the Passport Office. Each duplicate contains the immigrant's name and details of arrival, that is, name of ship and date of arrival, as well as a statement that there is no objection to the issuing of a passport. The clearance is stamped "valid for six months only". Some receipt butts contain annotations regarding the ship and date of departure, and the time expected to be away.
There are 1525 entries in the index.
The image below (click for larger image) is an example of a Passport Receipt for Edward Waite dated 27 Sep 1930.
- ? or indicates there is doubt about the entry due to difficulty in interpreting the handwriting. Please note there may be transcription errors due to these difficulties.
- more than one entry may be found for a person
- where a maiden name is given with the married name, the title of (Mrs) is not always included. A separate entry has been recorded in the Index for the Maiden name.
- check all possible spelling variants
- some given names, titles and Ship names are abbreviated as they appear in the original record
- Mc and Mac names are interfiled
- - or a blank cell indicates that there is no information recorded in the original record
- names are not indexed with an apostrophe, e.g. O DWYER
- Asiatic names have not been anglicised and appear as recorded in the original record.
Search the indexes
Please note, Adobe Reader is required to open and print these Portable Document Format (PDF) index files and is free to download from the Adobe website.
If you have difficulty accessing PDF files from this website please contact us.
Open Data files
If you have difficulty accessing these files from this website please contact us.
Costs and ordering
The cost for each item requested is A$6.40.
To order copies of an item, please complete an index order form (PDF, 36KB). When completing the form, quote the name of the person or family group, page number or Passport Receipt Number, date, and QSA Reference.
For further information on immigration please refer to the following guides: