Search the indexes
- 1 East - Bonner (PDF, 144KB)
- Bonney - Colley (PDF, 138KB)
- Collin - Drinkwater (PDF, 133KB)
- Drury - Goodland (PDF, 139KB)
- Goodson - Howell (PDF, 137KB)
- Howes - Liddell (PDF, 140KB)
- Lidgard - Mitchell (PDF, 149KB)
- Moffat - Pepper (PDF, 145KB)
- Percival - Shaun (PDF, 148KB)
- Shaw - Urquhart (PDF, 143KB)
- Usen - Zregenza (PDF, 102KB)
Adobe Reader is required to open and print these Portable Document Format (PDF) index files and is free to download from the Adobe website. If you have difficulty accessing PDF files from our website please contact us.
Costs and ordering
The cost for each reference requested is A$18.30. For this fee you will receive a copy of the entire lease document.
To order copies of an item, please complete an index order form (PDF, 67KB). When completing the form, quote the name of the person or company, lease number/s and references.
This index was created from several series of records created by the Mines Department and the Mining Warden, Cloncurry. The majority of these records are the printed lease documents with identifying information completed by hand.
1. Series ID 18221 (MIN/N1-48), Gold mining leases dated 1/8/1871 - 31/7/1919. Details given include name(s) of applicant(s) for lease, where they were from, yearly rent payable, Act under which lease was granted, where the lease was situated (name of goldfield), area of land, term (in years) and date of commencement of lease, minimum number of miners to be employed, county and parish, description and sketch map of boundaries of lease, transfers (date and to whom).
2. Series ID18222 (MIN/O1-56), Mineral leases dated 21 Jan 1884 - 11 Oct 1940. Details given include name(s) of applicant(s) for lease, where they were from, mineral sought, yearly rent payable, district where the lease was situated, area of land, term (in years) and date of commencement of lease, description and sketch map of boundaries of lease, transfers (date and to whom).
3. Series ID 7367 (A/20586), Index to Coal Mining Licence Register under the Act of 1886 dated 12/1/1888 - 23/7/1954. This record is an Index to coal mining licence register under the Minerals Lands (Coal Mining) Act of 1886. Details include licence number, name and folio number. Folio numbers from 299 - 590 provide access to Series ID 17138 (B1265), Register of Coal Prospecting Licences dated 12/1/1888 - 23/7/1959. Please note this item (B/1265) is not included in the Mineral Leases 1871-1940 index.
4. Series ID 9132 (A/45843), Mineral and Water Race Leases dated 16/9/1910 - 30/11/1933. Details given include name of mineral field, county and parish, locality area, date of lease, names of lessees and details of transfers.
The image below (click for larger image) is of pages 1 and 3 from a 4 page Gold Mining Lease (Lease of Auriferous Tract) from the Normanby District for William O Hodgkinson dated 1 Feb 1873.
A search under the various Mining Wardens offices and the Mining Department researchers can locate many series of records pertaining to mineral, coal, and gold leases.
To learn more about mining records please refer to Brief guide 13: Mining records (PDF, 128KB).
Series ID 14248 (MIN/17-18), Security Documents Covering Loans in Exchange for Precious Stones Deposited by Miners, 1/5/1922 - 31/1/1923 covers the areas of Rubyvale and Sapphire. Filed by surname: ALI WOODS