This index has been compiled from Series ID 12837, Registers of Seamen, 1882-1919 created by the Harbours and Rivers Department.
This series consists of registers of seamen with details of employment including current number/number, date of entry of particulars/date of occurrence name of ship and official number, name, age, capacity, whether engaged, discharged etc., home address (or at least country of origin), and wages.
Item ID 17909 (HAR/2) covers the period 1882-1913 and Item ID 17910 (HAR/3) covers the period 1913-1919.
The image below (click for larger image) is an example of page 5 from the register dated 1883.
- ? indicates there is doubt about the entry due to difficulty in interpreting handwriting
- more than one entry may be found for a person, (2) indicates 2 entries on the same page for the same person
- check all possible spelling variants
- some given names are abbreviated as they appear in the original record
- Mc and Mac names are interfiled
- a blank cell indicates that there is no information recorded in the original
- names are not indexed with an apostrophe, e.g. O DWYER
- Ships’ names abbreviations: D of = Duke of; K of or King of = Kingdom of; G of = Gulf of; Scott = Scottish; S.Admiral = Scottish Admiral; P’land = Portland.
Search the indexes
Please note, Adobe Reader is required to open and print these Portable Document Format (PDF) index files and is free to download from the Adobe website.
If you have difficulty accessing PDF files from this website please contact us.
Open Data index
If you have difficulty accessing the file from this website please contact us
Costs and ordering
The cost for each register page requested is A$6.60. For this fee you will receive a copy of the entire register page on which your person is listed.
To order copies of an item, please complete an index order form (PDF, 67KB). When completing the form, quote the name of the person, page number, name of ship, QSA reference and the microfilm number.